Return to the Emerging Runner

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Reclamation

My summer abode had a pull-up bar just outside the front door that had been installed for use by the local fire crew during their daily exercise circuit. Before I moved in the circuit was moved elsewhere, but the bar remained. A few of the other researchers cajoled me into doing daily pull-ups with them.

As a high school freshman I could do nine pull-ups, which I primarily attribute to my years and years of softball. I didn't play softball after sophomore year and by graduation I was down to six pull-ups. At the start of this summer, I was just holding on to one.

But the pull-up bar and the other researchers beckoned and, as frequently happens with 'new' athletic endeavors, I experienced quick progress and within two months was up to three touches of my chin to the bar.

I no longer have that pull-up bar right outside my front door, so instead I stop at the playground each time I go running and co-opt the monkey bars in order to attempt to push past three and onto four pull-ups.

This past Friday, at the climbing gym, I made a silent decision to make it back up to six by the time I graduate again (which will hopefully be with a Masters degree this spring). Here's to getting back what you thought you'd lost!

No comments: