Return to the Emerging Runner

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Crosstraining triple whammy

Summit HS XC team putting in the miles
at Green Lakes in view of South Sister


This post is for days when you can't get in a run like the one above...

Even though I was barely moving, as I observed myself in the mirror I could see the beginnings of uncontrollable shaking resulting from muscle fatigue. I tried not to grip the wooden, slightly higher than waist height, bar in front of me too fiercely. The instructor, thankfully, began a fairly rapid countdown. “10… 9… 8…” The class’s twenty students are in the midst of tripcep isolating push-ups utilizing a ballet bar that is present on three walls of the studio. It’s one of the classic components of an hour long class that skillfully combines ballet, yoga, and pilates. The location is Bend, Oregon’s Barre 3 studio. I found my way here through an enthusiastic recommendation provided by an employee at the Lululemon showroom downtown. I’m glad I took her advice, because Barre 3 is quickly delivering possibly the most intense indoor workout I have ever received in a class setting.

The upbeat, popular music playing in the studio immediately signals that Barre 3’s tri-sport blend does not dwell on the ‘zen’ aspects of yoga. From a physical perspective, the blended workout targets improving arm, core, and leg strength by leading students through two to four minute exercises that isolate these areas one-by-one, rapidly bringing you to the point of shaking, utter submission to your muscles’ lack of sustained strength. The ballet bar provides a helpful resistance tool and support structure. A yoga strap in combination with the bar increases stability in postures that might otherwise be more about balance than strength and depth. A rubber ball that is most often placed between one’s thighs and squeezed with as much attention as can be mustered while also working on another muscle group provides multi-dimensionality to a subset of the hour’s exercises.

During my first visit I received personal instruction about the fact that it is often harder to move small, distinct amounts slowly than to make large, rapid movements while executing the exercises. This is probably familiar to most people who regularly engage in weight training, but it wasn’t top of mind to me until it was gently pointed out. At this point in the class we had assumed a plie position, checked the positioning and alignment of our pelvis, assumed a tight core, and then asked to dip one inch towards the floor in this position and then return to the original squat, repeating this action over and over. I was happily and quickly dipping up and down, when the instructor told me I’d experience more results from a slow, deliberate movement up and down. I let my momentum dissipate and immediately the movement became considerably more difficult. In order to execute the control necessary to move slowly and deliberately I had to tighten my core considerably more than when I was rapidly bouncing up and down. It was a lesson that I would need to heed for the remainder of the class.

So, in broad sweeping strokes, what exactly does a yoga, pilates, ballet-based class at Barre 3 entail? It starts with a warm-up in the center of the studio and thereby distant from all of the classes’s props—bar, ball, and strap. After some squats, arm circles, and standing, mobile stretching that brings the heart rate up, the class moves to a series of exercises utilizing the ballet bar. Assuming a plank position with all fingers wrapped around the bar there are a number of push-up simulating exercises that get your biceps and triceps quaking. Then everyone places a leg on the bar and stretching and twisting movements commence. It’s helpful that the walls of the studio behind the ballet bar are mirrors, because you’re constantly able and encouraged to check your form. Over this initial bar session your arms are thoroughly exhausted and your legs are warmed up. Halfway through the class all students move to the floor and are lead through hip openers and abdomen strengtheners. It is this section of the class that draws the most from yoga. Classic poses such as pidgeon, tree, and boat are called upon. Boat pose is aided by wrapping the yoga strap around the ballet bar. The strap is then held loosely between thumb and forefinger. I think that ideally, the strap should be predominantly a psychological aid in this situation rather than a physical one, but for most people it likely serves both roles.

With the abdominal work in particular, I notice something that is one of the defining characteristics of the difficulty of this workout. After the instructor finishes the countdown that signals the completion of a particular set of repetitions, you are not ‘allowed’ to release the pose. Instead you remain there and a new set of exercises is begun from that base point. This lack of release and continued hold makes the overall difficulty of the workout considerably greater, as it reduces those ‘sigh of relief and release’ moments that I’ve become accustomed to in traditional yoga classes.

By the end of the hour long class my body was in a delirious state of overwhelming weakness and fatigue. It’s the sort of situation where you’re infinitely thankful when the class ends because there’s a part of your mind that wasn’t sure you could keep going for another minute. After each of the Barre 3 classes I took, I gingerly moved myself post-class from the studio into the well appointed bathroom where I claimed a fluffy, white towel and took a quick and refreshing shower. The overall sensation by the time I departed to my car was one of bodily rebirth via well distributed fatigue. The following day sore muscles across my collarbones, upper back, and upper abdomen indicated that muscle groups that are hardly ever triggered were encouraged to a new state of use by the class.

My first experience at Barre 3 was so eye opening and surprising that I couldn’t settle for just that one visit. I came back twice more and each time found myself more and more challenged by the workout. Barre 3’s hour long practice offers up the equivalent of several hours practice anywhere else. It make the $20 per class price tag well worthwhile, especially when you consider the extra amenities available (if you choose to use them), such as childcare, fully appointed bathroom and shower facilities, and all equipment made available (no need to bring your own mat, strap, block, or ball). Even further, the studio’s owner is personable, energetic, and welcoming. I was happy to support her endeavor, which incredibly was beginning to bring definition to my arm muscles with only three visits!

It turns out that the combination of ballet, yoga, and pilates isn’t a new concept and isn’t unique to Barre 3. Many major American cities have studios that employ the combination, including Physique 57 in New York City. Now that I’ve had the chance to experience it, I’m hoping the trend continues to grow and the workout is made increasingly available because it’s one of the most effective I’ve ever encountered. A weekly visit to Barre 3 in combination with my regular running, hiking, and biking would give me the well roundedness fitness routine I think we all search for.

No comments: