Return to the Emerging Runner

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Holidays mean gifts, gifts, gifts!

Last year at this time I offered a list of coveted items that represented, in my estimation, some of the best product available to pleasure your runner at the holidays. Over the last 11 months I have refocused on appreciating what I have and spent much less time and energy on wanting. It's been a rewarding change, one that was subtle until I returned to the materialsm of NYC. That said, there's a wonderful beauty in giving gifts--especially the right gift! My suggestions this year come to you based not on want, but on knowledge that comes from having used all of these products for some time...

Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap


















$9.49 for 16 ounces website
There's nothing quite like coming back from a run tingling with endorphins to jump in the shower and lather up with this soap, which will make your skin tingle too. Bonus: environmentally friendly.

Nail scrub brush














Approx. $2-3
While you're in the shower with Dr. Bronner (oh-la-la!) scrub the entire, fleshy bottom of your foot with this tool that's actually intended for your nails. It will reinvigorate your tired soles. Don't forget the arch of your foot. Hint: Don't pick a brush whose bristles are very soft.

REI Performance Liner Gloves














Perfect weight for running, wicks sweat, and feels like the softest of leathers. Reasonably priced too and REI is increasing their present in the northeast.

Lululemon Inspire Crop













Moderate compression, nice stitching details, and the true selling point for me--perfect length for petites. I'm not joking that I wore them three days in a row starting the day I bought them. Put in over 30 miles over those three days!

Tubbs Flex Snowshoes








$179.95 website
The ultimate crosstraining option in winter. This new style of snowshoe blows the popular metal frame and plastic webbing style out of the water. I was skeptical at first but immediately sold after tackling a hill with a good grade. I wouldn't snowshoe running in these, but they're a good stepping stone to that very rapidly growing sport. Note: Available for both men and women

And here's one last silly suggestion for those, like me, who've become enamoured with nighttime running and aren't embarassed to be a little cheeky...

adidas by Stella McCartney Glow-in-the-Dark Running Shorts













$60.00 on sale website
Catch me if you can (see me).

Happy holidays!

No comments: