Return to the Emerging Runner

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hip Focus

In my yoga post, I mentioned appreciating the hip opening exercises that are a frequent part of the practice. I have very tight hips, which sometimes trouble me enough during periods when I'm training hard that it's challenging to sit still through long meetings because they just ache and ache. The tightness also keeps my stride shorter than I'd like. So, I'm always on the lookout for ways to improve hip flexibility and strength. I stumbled across this video of Shannon Rowbury today, and her warm-up includes some fantastic hip exercises that are frequently included in myrtle routines. (Myrtle is a play on the fact that the exercises focus on your hip girdle.)

If only my abs rippled like hers during sprint training! I hope things go well for her in the big USATF championships this coming week.

Here's a sample myrtle routine courtesy of Nike.

2 comments:

Jack said...

If you like adventure racing, you might want to check out this brief video about one man's "aha moment" about how the sport has changed his life for the better. Copy and paste this address into your web browser -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/3784 -- I think you'll find it inspirational.

Thanks,

jack@ahamoment.com

Adventure Girl said...

There's something incredible that happens when you're in the middle of a physical event, like an adventure race, and you feel like you couldn't possibly go any farther--let alone finish--and then you defy your own perceptions and do. The aha moment video you referred me to talked about that. Thanks for sending the link along.

I had one of those can't possibly finish moments of my own at a trail race last week. I'll post about it in the next few days.